16 May Episode #24: Breck Hostetter from Sesame Letterpress
A Modern Letter Maker That’s Very Victorian.
Today I’ll be talking to Breck Hostetter owner of Sesame Letterpress. Sesame Letterpress is a boutique design and letterpress print shop in Brooklyn, New York. Breck has a background in fine arts and bought her first printing press in 1999, she designs all the artwork that winds up on her presses as a result of the collaborative work with her clients.
On this episode we discuss:
- Working on Sesame Letterpress while at her full time job.
- Be part of the big events of her clients’ lives.
- Making something special that people can keep in their lives.
- Creating a line that would let her pay all of her debt and take on less work and spend more time at the studio.
- The importance of trusting your gut.
I took a class in letterpress printing and fell in love with it. I got my first printing press in 1998, and my idea originally was to work with artists to produce editions and multiples. Combining my love of contemporary art and working artists, and printing things by hand.