18 Apr Episode #20: Cedric Martin
Handcrafted furniture in Woodstock.
Today I’ll be talking to Cedric Martin from Pacama Handmade. Pacama is a design studio that specializes in handcrafted furniture. At their Woodstock store and showroom, Cedric features Pacama pieces as well as well as the work of other like-minded designers who create their work regionally.
On this episode we discuss:
- How the desire to learn sewing was the stepping stone to a future business.
- Investing in great tools to add value to the quality of your products.
- Creating products based on her needs.
- Creating an item and use it for a couple of months to check on the usability.
- Have an immediate circle of trusted friends and peers to seek feedback and business advice.
I originally had the idea for a storefront about 10 years ago, I was still living in Brooklyn at the time. I was running a cafe and record store with two friends, and started exploring with woodworking at the time and imagined owning a place where I could display my work and local artists work.