28 Feb Episode #13: Sofia Ramsay
Making jewelry that becomes your special totem.
Today I’ll be talking to Sofia Ramsay, a jewelry designer from Brooklyn. Sofia graduated from Pratt Institute in 2010 with a BFA in Jewelry and Fine Metals. She excelled in the world of mass market fashion jewelry before leaving the industry to pursue a private studio practice that evolved into a small business in Brooklyn.
What we talked about:
- How the experience in another company helped her have a business background that helped her run her own business.
- How simultaneously while working full time, Sofia started to create her first line.
- The relationships in the industry she had before helped her in her business development.
- How to build a supportive community of other business owners to support her journey.
- The beginning of her business at a pop-up shop.
While studying jewelry at Pratt was where my interest in medium started. After graduation worked at a custom jewelry company in New York exposed me and gave me the experience I needed to make my business sustainable.